This course presents the basic principles of excellent documentation for use in an IT environment based on matching each type of documentation to its intended audience. Various types of documentation are discussed including technical reports, training material for computer systems, maintenance and reference documentation and documentation to accompany presentations. Alternate delivery methods are also discussed including on-line and web-based documentation.
There are no prerequisites for this class.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Identify excellent and poor documentation techniques.
- Apply the techniques of excellent documentation to improve the documentation in their own computer-based business systems.
- Effectively test documentation for compliance with requirements.
- Create effective implementation and maintenance procedures for documentation.
- Describe the technical aspects of computer-based business systems using the appropriate practical language.
- Describe the special requirements of on-line or web based documentation