The success of any organization depends on the communication skills of all of its employees. Better interpersonal communication can lead to greater success in the organization, greater satisfaction among our customers, and greater personal success.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Upon completion the student will be able to:
- Understand the various styles and methods of communication;
- Analyze their own communication styles;
- Develop their skills in communicating.
Introduction and Overview
The purpose of communication
Assets and deficiencies for the various styles of communication
- Formal communication
- Informal communication
- Grapevine/rumor communication
- Non-defensive communication
Methods of communication
- Speaking so the listener hears and understands
- Listening so that you hear and understand (i.e. active listening)
Barriers to effective communication
- Identifying your own barriers
- Identifying the barriers of others
- Overcoming barriers of others
- Overcoming barriers so that communication takes place
Group dynamics and interpersonal communication
Clarifying the communication process
- Doing it better